Monday, April 7, 2008

Blessing Ourselves

I have to admit that I was a little nervous about giving this prayer shawl. I have known Marcia for several years. But, since I am not one of her close friends, I was concerned about how comfortable she would feel about getting a prayer shawl. But Marcia's name had been on my heart, too, when I started it, so I felt that God was directing me to comfort her.

On April 6, 2008, Laura went with me. Laura and Marcia have known each other for a long time, so there was plenty to share and to catch up on.

Marcia has breast cancer. She has a long road ahead of her with the mastectomy and the reconstruction. I had no idea that there were so many phases to it. As yet, she doesn't know if she will need chemo and/or radiation.

When we presented the shawl to her, Marcia immediately wrapped it around her. Marcia said that she was grateful that it wasn't pink. She is suffering from "breast cancer logo overload" right now. Laura led a beautiful prayer--saying so many comforting things. I felt so blessed to have been there. I pray that as Marcia feels helpless, sad, or confused as she goes through her surgeries and treatments that she will be able to wrap her shawl around her and remember that sunny spring Sunday afternoon when we prayed with her and shared our love with her.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors